- When: Saturday, Oct. 5, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. (Special programming 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.)
- Where: Newseum, 555 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington D.C. 20001
- Cost: FREE for educators/administrators, school and pubic librarians, religious and civic leaders, and other invited guests. (ID required*). Plus, special $12 admission rate for up to five of your guests.
Peruse our exhibits, participate in our programs. Discover how NewseumED and the Freedom Forum Institute will continue the mission of championing the First Amendment after the Newseum building closes to the public on Dec. 31, 2019.
- Preview "Disinformation Nation," our online guide to recognizing and resisting the pull of propaganda.
- Explore the Newseum like never before through our puzzle-based Ace Reporter Scavenger Hunt.
- Show off your smarts at NewsMania – the Newseum’s trivia game show.
- Sessions on the state of the First Amendment, why Edward R. Murrow still matters and teaching controversial topics.
- Exhibit tours
- Complimentary posters, swag and snacks.
- A chance to win door prizes if you preregister AND attend the event, including $100 gift cards to Jose Andres's restaurants and $100 Amazon gift cards.
- A $5 food voucher if you preregister.
- Discounts in The Food Section and the Newseum Store
Come for all or part of the day!
FREE ELIGIBILITY: You must be an active teacher, principal, counselor, librarian/media specialist, school level staff, school district level staff, state level staff or college professor to receive free admission. Valid forms of ID include: school identification; pay stub; letter from the principal on school letterhead; insurance card; union card; letter of intent to home school, issued by a government agency or school district. Public librarians, and civic and religious leaders also get in free with business ID or card. Not sure if you qualify? Contact us.
REGISTRATION: Advance registration is strongly recommended for people eligible for free admission because it allows us to have enough resources and staff on hand. As an incentive, those who register in advance AND attend the event will be entered into a drawing for Amazon and restaurant gift cards. Preregister. (Note: You can register on-site the day of the open house, but you won't be eligible for the cool special prizes or the $5 food voucher.)
YOUR GUESTS: Open house attendees may purchase discounted $12 admission tickets for up to five of their guests at the door. Guests accompanying teachers do not need to register in advance and they are not eligible for door prizes.
HOURS/SCHEDULE: The Newseum is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Open House check-in and registration begin at 9 a.m. The event's special programming runs from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
GETTING HERE: The Newseum is within walking distance of a couple of Metro stations. There also is a paid parking garage in our building.
Assistance (e.g. ASL interpretation, assistive listening, description) for Open House can be arranged with at least seven business days’ notice. Please contact AccessUs at AccessUs@newseum.org or by calling 202/292-6453.